Top Trusted Costa Rican Dating Sites In 2023: Meet Legit Singles Online
Among all the hype about gorgeous Colombian, Brazilian, and Mexican ladies, Costa Rican singles are undeservedly overlooked. Meanwhile, they are just as beautiful, friendly, and exciting as any other South and Central America native. Let me introduce the top Costa Rican dating sites if you’re interested in discovering what this exotic land offers.
List of the best Costa Rican dating sites in USA
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
How to choose the right Costa Rican dating site?
You can go with the first Costa Rican dating site Google suggests, but you shouldn’t. Online dating is as much luck as it’s the art of finding the best dating app for your needs. Follow three simple steps to increase your chances of success:
- Set your online dating goals and budget. What are you looking for in Costa Rican women? Do you want a serious relationship or one-night stands? Are you ready to invest in a premium account and smooth experience, or would you settle for a higher risk of free membership? Be honest with yourself, and your online dating journey will lead you where you want to be.
- Test several online dating sites in Costa Rica. Most popular dating apps in Costa Rica offer a free membership for new members. You can usually register, set up a profile, search for potential dates, and browse their accounts for free. Other dating sites even offer a welcome bonus that lets you test premium features.
If that seems like a lot of work, remember you’ll only need to go through these steps once to find your perfect Costa Rican online dating site. It may take a few tries, but once you do, you will likely stick with it until you finally find your perfect match.
|Site||Rating||Number of users||User verification||Premium membership||Male to female ratio||Credit system||Payment methods||Starting price||Registration||Bonus for new members||Types of messaging||Video chat|
|⭐ 4.7/5||Over 845 thousand||✅||✅||50/50||✅||
|⭐ 4.5/5||Over 300 thousand||✅||✅||51/49||✅||
|⭐ 4.7/5||Over 235 thousand||✅||✅||52/48||✅||
|⭐ 4.9/5||Over 597 thousand||✅||✅||56/44||✅||
|⭐ 4.3/5||Over 147 thousand||✅||✅||48/52||✅||
Niche Costa Rican dating apps vs. mainstream dating apps
It's hard to choose between free dating sites in Costa Rica and popular dating apps, especially when you're new to online international dating. Use my helpful list of major pros and cons to find the most suitable solution for your relationship goals.
|Pros of Costa Rican dating apps||Pros of mainstream dating apps|
|Lots of communication features (mail, calls, video chat)||Free membership for new users|
|Verified users with little to no fake profiles||Mobile-friendly, intuitive interface|
|Tailored for Costa Rican or Central American users||Larger international dating pool|
|Cons of Costa Rican dating apps||Cons of mainstream dating apps|
|Premium account may be expensive||Many fake accounts due to a lack of user verification|
|Profile verification can take a few days||A limited number of Costa Rican users|
|Some apps have low response rates||Primarily suitable for local hookups or online flirting|
Does online dating in Costa Rica work?
The US is an uncontested leader in online dating, as over 17% of Americans use popular dating sites and apps to find partners. The Costa Rican online dating scene isn't as lively, with only 4.4% of locals using one popular dating site or another. At the same time, the number of users is expected to exceed 6% within five years. So the Costa Rican dating websites will only get livelier with the best singles in Central America vying for foreign men and women.
What makes an online dating site preferable for Ticas and Ticos? There are many reasons, and some are less obvious than others:
- Virtual is the new norm. The Covid-19 pandemic changed online dating in unprecedented but predictable ways. Not only did the best dating apps gain millions of new users, but virtual dates also became an expected standard as a result of social distancing protocols.
- Better quality of life. Although some jobs are well-paying, many Costa Ricans suffer from small wages. Meeting a foreigner to start a relationship that could lead to marriage is a chance at a new, better life for some ladies/boys.
- Safer environment. While Costa Rica enjoys a relatively low crime rate, many Costa Ricans are wary of meeting strangers in bars or restaurants as a way of starting a relationship. Most prefer meeting at work, through common acquaintances, or online.
Luckily, Costa Rica isn't that far from the US, so meeting in person won't be an issue if you find your perfect match and decide to take your dates to real life.
Top tips for safe online dating
- Beware of fake profiles. No personal details, few photos and videos, and stock responses are usually signs of scammers.
- Check photos. Run a reverse image search if public photos seem suspicious; it’s easy to find their origin through Google.
- Request video chat. Faking voice and video calls is nearly impossible, so constant denials are a red flag.
- Ignore money requests. Do not believe “family troubles” and “sick pet” claims from users you barely know, and save your earnings.
- Block and report. Add suspicious profiles to your block list and report potential scams to help other users avoid fraud.
What is dating like in Costa Rica?
- The average first marriage age is 26.4 for women, 29.2 for men
- The divorce-to-marriage ratio is 43/100
- Costa Rica is second among Latin American countries in English proficiency, following Argentina
Costa Ricans have more than one way to say "I love you"
"Te amo" is what you say in a serious relationship to someone you wish to be by your side forever. "Te quiero" is more casual and less intense, perfect for the early days of a relationship. And "Me gustás" is the least intimate option, meaning the same as "I like you", so it's suitable for online chats.
Family is a constant presence in any relationship
Many Costa Ricans live with their parents far longer than what's deemed standard in the US. Three or four generations can inhabit a single household. So meeting parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins will likely happen early and entirely unexpectedly.
Marriage used to be restrictive
Until 1977, only men could initiate divorce because of their wives cheating, and the couples had to be married for at least five years before the divorce. Since the legislation's abolition, the number of divorces has grown steadily. However, it's still relatively high, despite the widespread Catholic traditions.
Get rid of stereotypes: dispelling of myths about Costa Rican people
These stereotypes aren't as bad as confusing Costa Rica with the island of Puerto Rico or believing the country has no paved roads but lots of malaria mosquitos. But if you want to understand Costa Ricans, you'd better avoid these common misconceptions:
- “Pura vida” are empty word.
False. That’s a widespread life philosophy most Ticos and Ticas swear by. Translated as “happy or simple life”, the phrase is as common as “How are you?” in English. It’s a sign of politeness and friendliness you should embrace and add to your vocabulary.
- Ticos fake it till they make it.
Partly true. Appearance means a lot to local men and women who take great pleasure in choosing the best clothes, looking great, and having shiny things. Unfortunately, they don’t always have the funds to support an outwardly luxurious lifestyle.
- Costa Ricans promote underage marriage.
False. While the number of teenaged pregnancies and marriages is high, it’s primarily due to the lack of proper sexual education in local schools. Religious beliefs prevent teenagers from accessing contraceptives throughout their early sexual experimentation.
I think you've also heard a lot of nonsense about Costa Rica, so don't immediately believe everything you hear—get to know better Ticos/Ticas and form your own opinion.
▶️ People's advice on Costa Rican dating
Costa Rica is a wonderful choice if you're looking for a partner in Central America. The country is full of pleasant, friendly, and lovable singles who know many ways to say "I love you". And online Costa Rica dating sites provide a comfortable and smooth way to find your perfect match.