🔥Best Casual Dating Sites in USA | September 2023
Casual Dating Explained
Casual dating is a physical and emotional relationship without long-term commitment, expectations, and responsibilities.
That’s the most common definition you’ll find online. But what is casual dating in plain terms? In most cases, casual dating implies that:
- You aren’t exclusive.Both partners are free to date other people casually.
- You don’t have strong feelings.Partners like spending time together but want to preserve their independence.
- You are on different schedules.You can meet up every week, month, or year without hard feelings.
- You enjoy the best parts of a romantic relationship.Casual partners share fun dates and regular sex but avoid the drama of a long-term relationship.
- You decide what comes next.Ultimately, casual dating may evolve into a serious relationship or dissolve when one or both partners find better matches.
You may recognize these signs in the relations you’ve had before without labeling them casual. But if you’d like to mix things up in your dating life and find a casual partner, sites likeand are a good place to start.
Top 5 Casual Dating Rules
There are secrets to successful casual dating, just like any other type of relationship. And the following rules of casual dating will help you enjoy yourself and avoid hurt feelings:
- Be honest with yourself. Think carefully about what you want from romantic relationships and why. The answers will guide your behavior and choices.
- Be open with your partner. Explain what you want and negotiate the terms of your arrangement. For example, decide together if you’re open to dating multiple people.
- Stay in touch with your emotions. An occasional check-in to track your emotional and psychological state will help you avoid unplanned romantic feelings and heartbreak.
- Communicate your concerns. Although you may feel awkward, voicing your issues and feelings is always more productive than bottling them up.
- Address negative views of casual dating. Your friends, family, and coworkers may look down on casual dating and pressure you into a serious relationship, so you must develop a strategy for dealing with their concerns.
These basic tips may seem obvious, but if you put them to good use, your chances of a successful casual relationship will skyrocket.
Casual Dating Texting Rules
People in serious relationships tend to live together and even stay in touch throughout the day. But casual dating lives up to its name, and texting is the primary mode of communication, whether you see each other every other night or every other month. Here are some tips to make your casual texting meaningful:
- Text when you have something to say. Casual relationships don’t rely on a daily barrage of meaningless texts. So text to tell a funny story or ask your partner on a date.
- Include two options with every offer. For example, if you want to go to the movies together, offer your partner the choice of two films to empower them and increase the likelihood of success.
- Arrange further communication. If you want to stay in touch, tell your partner you’ll call or text them over the weekend. That will help them plan their week and increase their chances of getting a date.
By the way, text messages and IMs are not the only means of communication available for casual daters. For instance, dating platforms likeand combine the benefits of traditional texting with other online dating features, including the search for new casual partners.
Casual Dating vs. Friends with Benefits vs. Relationships
Now that we’ve covered what a casual dating relationship entails let’s look at it compared to other relationship types. In the table below, you’ll notice significant differences between casual dating vs. serious dating and casual dating vs. friends with benefits.
|Factors||💝 Friends with benefits||❤️🔥 Casual dating||💘 Serious relationship|
|Prior relationship||Friends||Strangers||Strangers, casual partners, or FWB|
|Platonic/sexual||Sexual||Platonic or sexual||Platonic or sexual|
|Duration||A few weeks to a few months||A few months to a few years||A few months to a few decades|
|Endgame||Continued friendship, serious relationship, or breakup||Serious relationship or breakup||Marriage, civil partnership, family or breakup|
To make things even clearer, let’s look at the difference between hookup and casual dating. Hookups are usually one-time or irregular sexual relationships free of other dating staples. For example, if you only meet up to have sex, that’s a hookup. But if you have dinner and go to the movies before having sex, that’s casual dating.
And when it comes to the difference between casual dating vs. relationship, exclusivity, time, and effort are the biggest differences. For example, if you get sick, a casual partner isn’t likely to bring you chicken soup or stay with you while you get better. But a long-term partner in a serious relationship certainly would.
Of course, sometimes, a friends-with-benefits arrangement or casual dating can transform into a serious relationship. But even if it doesn’t, there are plenty of online dating sites, like, perfect for people seeking commitment, while and are invaluable for finding casual partners.
How Long Should Casual Dating Last?
The short answer is: it depends.
For example, if you go out every other night, you will likely develop an emotional connection within a few months. After that, your casual arrangement can transform into a committed relationship or fall apart. Alternatively, suppose you only see each other once or twice every month and enjoy sexual relationships with multiple people. In that case, you can keep casually dating for years until one of you settles down in an exclusive relationship.
Casual partners often part on good terms with no hurt feelings, which is a definite advantage over serious relationships. However, you can only preserve your emotional and mental health if you are in touch with your emotions and can cope with physical intimacy without developing feelings. If that’s not the case, casual dating may not be your best choice.
What Does Casual Dating Mean to a Guy?
It’s no secret that men and women perceive relationships differently, and casual dating is no exception. For example, one in five American men is only interested in casual relationships, while only one in seven women would settle for that. As women tend to be more in touch with their emotions, many enter casual arrangements in hopes of them becoming exclusive one day. Conversely, men often consider a casual relationship and casual sex the same and use it to secure commitment-free sexual gratification.
In some cases, men twist the meaning of casual relationships to shift the power dynamics in their favor and set specific dating rules for their partners. Such toxic relationships may cause anxiety, loss of self-worth, and insecurity in women. To avoid negative outcomes, both partners should be honest, open, and respectful of each other’s needs and feelings. If that’s not the case, it’s safer to break things off.
Unsurprisingly, 45% of single Americans looking for casual relationships use online dating sites and apps to find partners. After all, honesty and openness are the two cornerstones of the etiquette of casual dating. And while many may feel awkward explaining their desire for a casual relationship in person, dating sites let them specify relationship goals and seek like-minded partners without the inevitable anxiety and stress. At the same time, I recommend you talk things through with potential casual partners before meeting in person, for casual dating covers many options. For example, if you’re after a sugar relationship onor , you should articulate your expectations from a sugar daddy or baby. And if you’re in it just for sex, no strings attached hookups from or will be right up your alley.
Hopefully, I helped you realize that a casual relationship can be the most comfortable and exciting option for you if that’s what you truly want and if you’re ready to follow a few simple rules to keep yourself and your partner comfortable and safe. And if you’re just testing the waters, circle back to the rating at the top of this post to find a casual partner online.
Yes, casual dating can be the first stage of a serious relationship and long-term commitment, but that’s not always true. Regular meetings, rituals, and familiarity with each other’s circles are the common signs of a relationship’s evolution.
The purpose of a casual relationship is to enjoy sex and other benefits of dating without the pressure of long-term commitment and responsibilities. It can also be a great way to gauge compatibility, experiment, and build confidence.
Pick a time and place when you’re both calm and comfortable. Be open and honest about your feelings and ask the guy about his. Try to avoid confrontation and accusations, and be prepared for a negative outcome of a conversation.
Yes, casual dating and casual sex can be safe as long as you follow the basic security rules and use protection to mitigate STI risks.
Miscommunication is the biggest problem in casual relationships. When partners aren’t on the same page, feelings get hurt, and people stop enjoying their time together. It happens when one of the partners tries to manipulate the other or develops stronger feelings.