Biggest pro & biggest drawback: Daily matches & lack of video chat
JDate in 5 Seconds
|yes, iOS and Android
|new, online, distance, match percentage, age range, religion, relationship type + automatically generated daily matches (all free)
|winks, live chat, photo attachments
|Paid or free
|free signup and basic filters; all features (including messaging and privacy management) cost $29.99 to $59.99 per month (with a 6-month and 1-month plan, respectively)
Who Is JDate for?
is a niche dating site responsible for hundreds of marriage and relationship success stories. So it’s a perfect dating site for a Jewish community seeking lifelong commitment, partnership, and romance. JDate does not welcome people looking for hookups, casual flings, or extramarital affairs.
Features and Benefits
Like most niche dating sites,offers unique features absent from traditional online dating platforms. For instance, the app requires every new member to upload at least one photo and fill in certain personal details before providing access to other users’ profiles. Moreover, the JDate platform relies on a smart matching algorithm that analyzes personal information and preferences to generate a match percentage and provide a list of up to seven profiles with the highest match ratings daily.
But let’s review the basic search and messaging features to cover your options once you’ve joined JDate.
Aide from the Matches tab, where you’ll get three to seven recommendations daily, there’s also the Browse tab enabling manual search for partners. Here’s everything you need to know about search criteria on:
- You can specify discovery preferences when you edit your profile (at the bottom of the list) or change search parameters in the Browse section (in the center at the top of the page).
- The basic search criteria include gender, age range, location and distance, religion, and relationship type. Jewish faith options include everything from Baal Teshuva to Hasidic and Willing to convert. And relationship types range from friendship to marriage and kids.
- Advanced preferences are hidden under the dropdown menu and include multiple additional options. For example, you can specify the desired height range, kosher preferences, how often you wish your partner to attend synagogue, as well as their drinking and smoking habits, ethnicity, language, and willingness to relocate.
I found the basic filters to be suitable for my casual searches. But advanced preferences will be useful if you want lifelong commitment and have specific requirements. Still, I suggest you remain flexible, as the more filters you engage, the fewer options you’ll get. I encourage you to experiment to find the right balance to get potential matches.
Without asubscription, Winks is the only messaging tool available. Only paid members enjoy full communication capabilities, which include:
- Unlimited private messages. If you like the profile, click on the envelope button beneath the photo to start chatting. But you can also keep track of all your conversations in the Messages tab. The dropdown menu on the left lets you filter for unread, sent, archived, and “meets preferences” threads.
- Private photo exchange. Click on the camera icon within the live chat window to attach a photo. You can only send one picture at a time, and no video messages are possible. Still, it’s better than keeping your communication text-only.
Unfortunately, JDate has no video options, either in the form of video chat or live streams. Still, I enjoyed chatting for hours without the need to watch the credit balance. And most ladies I talked with were happy to share more photos than were available on their profiles. Considering the affordable rates, JDate is a solid chatting option, especially if you’re eager to take the relationship into the real world.
Free and Paid Membership Guide
Like most reputable online dating sites,offers free signup and basic features, saving top communication features for premium members. After thoroughly testing this Jewish dating site, I can share a detailed overview of free and premium membership perks.
After a relatively fast signup, all new users get a free membership with access to the basic JDate online dating features:
- Create and edit a personal JDate profileNews users can sign in using email, Facebook, or Google accounts. Everyone must take a short survey to fill in the basic profile fields, like age, height, religion, and relationship type. Users can also upload photos to make their profiles more noticeable.
- Browse Jewish women‘s or men’s profilesFree members get access to the same profiles as premium users but can only see the main profile photo. Daily matches appear in the Matches tab, while the Browse tab lets JDate members seek connections of their own, using filters like online status, age, location, distance, and the desired type of relationship. Free users can read profile info and send winks, not messages or photos.
- Get daily matches according to personal details ‘s smart algorithm accounts for individual preferences and matches percentages to provide up to seven potential partners to speed up the search for a soulmate. It’s a neat option for those new to online dating and unsure how to approach strangers.
- Check out the profile activity logUnfortunately, free users can only review their personal activity (likes and the profiles viewed), which is still handy for new members who may lose track of potential matches in a rush to browse as many potential partners as possible.
Although free users enjoy many options, premium membership comes with extra perks. A paid subscription unlocks the following features integral to online Jewish dating:
- Access to all profile photosOtherwise, you can only see the main profile picture, which isn’t always enough to decide whether to pursue a connection.
- Unlimited messaging Live chat access is a must if you’re looking for Jewish singles to date. Without it, the dating site is nothing but a photo gallery.
- Activity featuresThese include read receipts and lists of Jewish men or women who like or viewed your profile. It’s a great way to establish contact with people already interested in you, improving your chances for a match.
- Privacy preferencesYou can either browse anonymously or hide your profile from Browse and Matches tabs, preventing unwanted attention and gaining full control over the people you contact on JDate.
Likeand other Spark Networks online dating sites, does not offer live streaming or video chat features, which is a shame. Of course, if you’re eager to shift your virtual romance to real life, that shouldn’t be a problem. Besides, I enjoyed unlimited messaging without worrying about credits running out. I wish dating apps like JDate offered a free trial or welcome bonus to test communication features. As it is, I had to upgrade to a premium account soon after registration to communicate with other users.
As far as I could tell, a detailed profile onis the primary factor in starting serious relationships that potentially leads to Jewish marriages. The match percentage is key for getting relevant recommendations and meeting interested singles. So I suggest you fill out every field available and specify your discovery preferences. In combination, these simple steps will produce fewer suitable matches, narrowing down your choice but ensuring you find a suitable partner sooner.
Pros & Cons
- Active Jewish community of singles seeking serious relationships
- Flexible search options augmented by automatic matches
- Unlimited winks, live chat, and photo messages with premium membership
- Available on the web, Google Play, and App Store
- Messaging only available with paid subscription
- No live streaming, video chat, or virtual dates
Your Safety on JDate
Romance scams are among the most widespread online cons, which cost Americans over $540 million in 2021. Luckily,takes your security seriously, as proven by the following security measures:
- Reviewing every new user profile and photo
- Providing customer support seven days a week
- Addressing user complaints and concerns quickly
- Providing safety guidelines to prevent fake profiles and scam
Still, Jewish singles should remain vigilant when using any dating site, including JDate. I suggest taking the following simple precautions:
- Keep sensitive personal information to yourself until you’re certain about your match.
- Never send money or intimate photos to people you’ve never met.
- Exchange photos with your potential partners and check them using Google search.
- Set a relationship pace comfortable for both of you.
Although these tips may seem obvious, it’s easy to forget them when you’re excited about meeting eligible Jewish singles. So treat my warnings as a reminder to keep a clear head and trust your instincts and common sense.
5 Ways to Make Your Dating App Profile Stand Out From the Crowd on JDate
Want to create a perfect profile that will attract dozens of users? Here are some tips for you.
- Choose your main profile photo carefully, as it’s the only one free members see. Ensure it highlights your best features and avoid photos with other people.
- Be generous when choosing your interests and likes. It’s among the most important factors affecting your match percentage, so the more interests you add, the more matches you’ll get.
- Be honest about observing Jewish traditions. As it can be a decisive factor for some daters, don’t hedge your bets when you specify religion, synagogue attendance, and kosher preferences.
- Add more than a sentence to the “About You” field. Consider it your elevator pitch for potential matches, and avoid repeating details you specify in standard fields. Use it to highlight your personality and voice. For example, add a funny joke to showcase your sense of humor.
- Fill in the “Preferred first date” field. It’s a subtle hint for potential partners and a suitable conversation starter. For example, if you specify you’d love to go on a hike on the first date, anyone asking about your favorite trails is worth your time because they paid attention to your preferences.
Use these tips and you will surely make an attractive profile easily and stress-free.
As with other dating sites, I spent around a month on. The monthly subscription cost me around $60, though you can save up to 50% with a longer plan. I found the matching shockingly precise, though I sorely lacked video chat, as I did not intend to meet ladies in person. Still, I contacted nearly 20 women, half of whom stayed in touch throughout the month, and four were ready to meet in person. I enjoyed JDate and would recommend it to Jewish singles seeking serious relationships.