Biggest pro & biggest drawback: Advanced search results, but no video chat
Christian Mingle in 5 Seconds
|Monthly visits||over 1M|
|Mobile version/app||yes, Android, iOS|
|Matchmaking filters||5 basic filters (gender, age, location, religion, relationship type) and 11 advanced filters (from height to willingness to have kids or relocate, etc.); all filters are free|
|Messaging on-site||Live chat, photo messages, smiles|
|Paid or free||Free registration with premium subscription rates ranging from $24.99 to $49.99 per month, as Christian Mingle offers discounts for longer subscription plans|
Who Is ChristianMingle for?
is among the biggest online dating sites for Christians seeking to connect with like-minded singles to form steady, long-lasting relationships that could lead to marriage and starting families. The platform welcomes Christian singles of all denominations, though non-Christian users can also register.
Features and Benefits
Christian Mingle made it easy to register and start browsing and chatting within a couple of minutes; no credit card info or initial payments were necessary. However, as it’s designed for singles with Christian values, questions about denomination and relationship goals were among the first we had to answer. We signed up for a one-month subscription to test free and premium features and are happy to share our insights.
search filters were convenient and flexible enough to generate successful matches. We experimented with different settings you might find useful in your search for a God-centered relationship:
- You can set personal discovery preferences at the bottom of the profile page or in the Browse tab (at the top of the center column).
- Default filters include basic information, such as gender, age range, location and distance, religion, and relationship type (from friend to marriage and kids).
- Advanced preferences are free and include background information (education and language skills), religious practices (church attendance), relationship goals (willingness to relocate, desire to have kids, etc.), and smoking and drinking habits.
- Search results are presented in a feed style list in the Browse tab, while up to seven automatically generated matches appear in the Matches tab.
- You can switch between different views in the Browse tab. For example, you can only see new users matching your preferences, those who are online or closest to your location.
In our experience, basic preferences are more than enough to narrow down the dating pool to suitable matches. However, we suggest setting the distance to a manageable number instead of the default 100 miles. Using all available preferences produces limited matches, so we recommend being more flexible unless you have a firm conviction about who you want for a partner.
promotes serious relationships potentially leading to marriage, so video chat and live streams aren’t a priority. And while the communication toolset isn’t as diverse, it serves the online dating site’s members well:
- You can only start chatting after you fill out your profile. Otherwise, an annoying pop-up reminding you to share a few words about yourself will keep you from sending Smiles or messages.
- You can send a Smile to users you like for free. The yellow smiley face is usually right under the main profile photo, to the right of the envelope button, which opens the messaging window.
- Press the camera icon in the chat window to upload one image and send it to your potential match. Unfortunately, multiple-file uploads and video files aren’t supported.
- You’ll find all Smiles and chats in the Messages tab, where you can browse unread, sent, and archived messages. You can also use other filters, like Messages+ or Meets Preferences.
We had a very diverse experience with Christian Mingle. Some ladies were eager to send smiles and initiate chats, while others ignored our messages. We chatted on and off with a few women, who were happy to share personal details and extra photos. But while we enjoyed our chats, we hope Christian Mingle may incorporate some form of audio or video calls to help make the connections feel more solid.
Free and Paid Membership Guide
Anyone can create aaccount for free and test the waters, but there’s also premium membership for people serious about faith-based dating. Upon signup, everyone is treated to basic membership with access to the following:
- Profile editing We discovered profile data is vital for Christian Mingle’s search algorithm and matching, so we were diligent about sharing pertinent details.
- Uploading photos from FacebookAs neat as signup with Google or Facebook profiles, uploading images from social media saved us a lot of time on photo moderation. So we recommend this route if you’re in a hurry to get chatting.
- Basic and advanced searchWe learned that default discovery preferences were pretty broad. So we recommend starting with basic filters to keep your options open and only narrow them down if you get too many potential matches to handle.
- “Smiles”They are free, so we got plenty of smiles immediately after signup. It’s the only free communication option useful for gauging interest without wasting time on clever first messages. We sent smiles to dozens of ladies and chatted with those who returned our interest, increasing the overall communication success rate.
- Activity feedOnly half of the feed is accessible for free, but it was still useful for keeping track of users we chatted with and whose profiles we browsed. It can be a lifesaver for new Christian Mingle members, helping them find each other after losing track.
Although thecost is pretty affordable, let’s go over what premium features entail before you decide if a premium Christian Mingle account is worth it. Once you “get all features,” you can access the following:
- Messaging+Lets premium members communicate with all other online dating site users, even if they have basic accounts. It’s a neat feature worth the expense, as it’s the primary communication option.
- Access to photosUnlocks five additional profile pictures inaccessible with a basic membership. Browsing extra images is useful for getting to know potential matches and weeding out fake profiles.
- The read receiptsFeature lets you know when someone receives and reads your message. So if you don’t get a response, you’ll know they aren’t interested and move on to other potential matches.
- Profile display controlsHelp you hide your account status and remove it from Browse and Matches tabs. We found this feature particularly useful for having complete control over users we wished to contact.
- Anonymous browsingKeeps your visits secret from other users. Like the previous feature, it can be useful for getting better control over your online dating acquaintances.
- SpotlightIs the only add-on feature outside the premium membership package that makes your profile stand out. We didn’t see a significant rise in interest with Spotlight, so we can’t be sure if it’s as effective as suggests.
After creating a Christian Mingle profile, we spent a few days poking around the Browse and Matches tabs, keeping a close eye on the Activity, and exchanging Smiles with a dozen ladies. Still, we upgraded to a premium membership to test messaging and other features, as the Christian dating site offers virtually no free communication tools. Luckily, messaging is unlimited, if restricted to text and photos, presumably, to promote in-person meetings.
In our experience, daily matches were the best thing about. The members we found there were the most interested and active, more likely to initiate contact, share photos, and set dates. As far as we can tell, these matches are generated based on match percentage, which depends on the info in user profiles. So if you want to get quality matches without wasting time on search filters, take a few minutes to fill as many fields in your profile as you’re comfortable with. You can also play around with discovery preferences to narrow down the matches even more.
Pros & Cons
- Facebook or Google account signup
- Flexible search results
- Highly active American dating pool
- Android and iOS dating apps are available
- No live streams or video chat
- No virtual or real gift options
Your Safety on ChristianMingle
As we tested thedating site, we discovered plenty of security features that were as annoying as they were useful. Here are some examples of what you may expect:
- Christian Mingle requires a pledge of honest intentions from every user before providing access to messaging.
- Profile photos and personal details are required to start chatting with other users.
- Each photo goes through moderation before being approved.
- Like most online dating sites, the Christian Mingle FAQ section emphasizes safe dating practices.
Although we haven’t seen many Christian Mingle reviews with fake profile complaints, we expect some users to be scammers more interested in stealing money than Christian dating. So here’s a quick reminder of the basic safety rules that can keep you out of trouble:
- Never send money to strangers you meet on a dating site.
- Do not accept payments from strangers you have never met in person.
- Never share sensitive personal information, such as your address, social security, or credit card number.
- Only exchange intimate photos with potential matches once you’re 100% sure of their intentions.
We also recommend Googling photos of suspicious users to try and find them on other dating sites or social media. And if anyone makes you uncomfortable or wary, block them and report suspicious activity to theadministration.
5 Ways to Make Your Dating App Profile Stand Out From the Crowd
A perfect profile is 50% of success on most dating sites, so let’s see how to make a decent profile that will stand out from the crowd.
- Focus on your profile picture. It’s the first thing potential matches see in search results and the Matches tab, so it should highlight your best features to attract attention.
- Add info to your photos. It will serve as your elevator pitch and entice potential partners to click through to your profile and start conversations.
- Be generous and honest with personal details. generates matches based on the match percentage of two accounts. So the more information you provide, the higher your chances of finding a partner will be.
- Browse profiles of people who are online. Premium members can see and return your visits before engaging you in a conversation.
- Try the Spotlight feature if you have money to spare. It will highlight your profile in search results and the messaging tab. But you’ll need to pay extra, even with a premium membership. The Spotlight rates range from $2.99 (1 day) to $14.99 (30 days).
These simple tips will help you create an outstanding profile that will help you attract potential partners.
After testing this dating website for a few weeks, we can recommendfor singles interested in serious long-term relationships or lifelong connections. Although we sorely missed certain features, such as video chat, subscription prices were reasonable enough for unlimited chatting and sharing photos. During our month-long test run, we sent over 300 smiles, received around 50, chatted with 20+ ladies, and secured a handful of dates.